Hello, I’m Chantae and I’m on a mission to try every action sport and adventure activity under the sun! Specifically, ones that involve harnessing the earth’s energy or my own human-power. More wind, waves, snow, and muscle – less fossil fuel. Think kitesurfing, surfing, snowboarding, bungy jumping, scuba diving, and more. I’m up for trying it all.
In 2010, I realized that I had just enough money as a broke college student to buy a ticket to Central America… so a few minutes later, I did. I trekked through a few countries with a backpack and surfboard, and thus began my passion for travel. Since then, I’ve graduated with a degree in political science from the University of Southern California, spent the weekends snowboarding at Mammoth Mountain, backpacked through various countries, and moved to Australia.
My life as an expat in Perth, Western Australia consists of traveling whenever and wherever possible and heading to the beach for a quick surf or board-sport related session as often as I can. I tend to get a bit stir crazy if kept inside for too long.
I work full-time as an adventure journalist writing for publications like SurfGirl Magazine, Standup Journal, 4WD Touring Australia, Travel + Leisure, Boating Magazine, Skyscanner Australia, and many more.
About Chantae Was Here
Instead of scribbling “Chantae Was Here” on questionable bathroom stalls and risking arrest, I’ve taken to writing it on here. This blog serves not only as my own personal journal of adventures, but also as inspiration for others planning to see what exists beyond their front door. It’s a place to talk about action sports, sustainability, adventure, and travel.
Here are a few of my favorite posts
- Don’t Take me to the Guidebook’s Night Market in Phnom Penh
- Penguin Island: Paradise for Penguins — Or Tyrannical Seagull Hell?
- The Girl’s Guide to Couchsurfing
- From Slob to Suave: How to be an Eco-Friendly Traveler
- Red Bluff Beauty: I’ve Gone Missing in Western Australia
- Travel Inspiration for Everyone — Not Just Rich White Dudes
- Gnaraloo, Western Australia from the Water
- The Coogee to Bondi Coastal Walk: Things I’d Never Put in a Guidebook
Action Sports and Yoga
- What’s it Like Scuba Diving in a Lightning Storm?
- How to Stay Motivated when you’re Horrible at Something
- A Warning to Yogis Traveling to Germany
- When Kitemares Come True: My Worst Kitesurfing Moments